3/30/11

tv or not tv...


I don’t watch a lot of television.  Probably has to do with my father telling us, “the ‘boobtube’ will rot your brain if you watch too much.” Once I came into the 21st century, and discovered the ‘DVR’, I became addicted to several shows.  With this precious little box, I could fly past all the commercials and therefore justify (to myself) that I wasn’t watching THAT much tv.  So, when it came time to move to Germany I knew I would have to eventually give up my DVR and begin watching my shows via ABC.com or CBS.com…or so I thought.

Once the house was un-packed, I decided to reward myself with a nice calm night watching Grey’s Anatomy.  That night I received the first of many such messages on my computer screen that read,  “You appear to be outside the United States or its territories.  Due to international rights agreements, we only offer this video to viewers located within the United States and its territories.”  Of course, I 'got smart' and decided to check out clips from my shows via Youtube.com,  only to get the message, “This video contains content that is not available in you country.”  


This past weekend we finally gave in and purchased the much raved about ‘Apple tv.”  It allows us to buy or rent movies/television shows thru the televsion (via I-tunes) using our wireless.  The funny part of this story; if we had done a little more investigating, we would have realized it would have been better to buy our Apple tv in the States.  Go figure-when buying an Apple tv in Germany…the movies will be in German.  HA! Silly us.  However, we didn’t return our new toy, as always, Jason was quick to find a solution, which involves buying them first on the computer in English then transferring the shows to the television.  

 So, I am sure this will make my father especially proud…Here in Germany, not only am I watching the  ‘boobtube’, but I am paying for each show as well.

1 comment:

  1. Yay!!! i am so happy for you that you finally got the Apple tv. I LOVE it!! Once we got it last Christmas...i felt so much more connected to the U.S. again I watch the news on pod cast each morning with my coffee (even though it is the news from the day before) and I love to be able to downlaod the shows I watched in the States off of i tunes and watch them on Apple tv :) It definitely pulled me out of my first expat funk!!! Have fun!!:)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>