6/24/11

Big Barcelona bangs



I can’t believe how many times I have run into “festivals” or celebrations that prior to my stumbling into them had no clue about.  It has happened again in quite the loud manner.  Tonight in Barcelona as we strolled on the beach trying to find a spot for dinner, we noticed things seemed like they were being set up for some big event.  Maybe our first clue should have been the fact that as we were all napping this afternoon (after a long day of walking the old streets), firecrackers kept going off. (Enough to put an end to my napping and MADE me head up to our roof pool for a little peace and vitamin D)  As we now know, have seen, and are still seeing hearing at a very loud volume, it is to celebrate “Saint John’s Eve”.  The celebration is lighting up the whole sky and every street.  And from what I understand, these fireworks and parties last thru the night.  As we walked home on the Boardwalk by the beach watching fireworks in the sky and by our feet, I wasn’t surprised to see a firetruck and an ambulance wiz by us.  EVERYONE of ALL ages were setting off fireworks of every size!!!!!!!  Cooper was in heaven and Karina was terrified.

There were numerous exciting things that happened today as we made our way via taxi, airplane, bus, and finally subway to downtown Barcelona.  I guess the biggest lesson learned (or reminded of), do as you tell your children to do…Like me always telling Cooper to “hold on” in a train or bus.  You just never know when they may slam on breaks.  Let’s just say his mother was so intrigued by the bus in front of us being stuck on top of a city trash can, that she forgot to hold on and crashed her leg into a very pretty sight. (Funny that this is day one of wearing a bathing suit on a sunny vacation)  Then there is the lesson I have been trying to explain to Katie;hold onto your personal items tightly-there are pickpockets in a big city.  Funny that it was my I-phone that the panhandler tried to sneak off our dinner table.  (I knew immediately what he was up to and rescued my phone-but it had Katie’s heart racing and Cooper asking a million questions)

Otherwise, our day was filled with much Tapas, walking, shopping, swimming, napping, and firework watching or rather, dodging. 



bus

train

Katie @ Barcelona Cathedral
Tapas lunch..


1


Practice what you preach

roof pool

Beach

brr

beginning of firworks

Champagne Sangria


Katie &Cooper aren't scared-they had fun doing "fireworks"


2 comments:

  1. hey there! thw champagne sangria looks great!! enjoy yourselves in Barcelona...it is such a beautiful city!!:) ( looks like you already are!!) love,m:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>