6/20/11

"Schultüte”


Learning how to make our Schultute


Hard at wor
 
Where is the candy?
Today, I headed off to Karina’s school  to begin making her Schultüte.  The first problem I ran into when making this German tradition, which started in 1810, was calling it a Shoe-lulu.  I was quickly corrected…as usual.  Even though I didn’t have the pronunciation correct, I thought it was a great German tradition we were going to experience.  It is a large cone that parents make together with their future 1st Grader.  When they enter the school on the first day of ‘1st Grade’ this Schultüte will be waiting for them filled with toys, chocolate, candies, school supplies, and various other goodies.  

I am not sure if the tradition calls for the mom to make the Tüte while the child plays with her friends…but I don’t blame her as my weaving seemed to take an exceptionally long time.  I guess I didn't practice much  weaving in Alabama.  But the reward was big, once this mom finished, my little girl showed me her thanks with a Big ole kiss!

After the tüte was finished, I was off to show Katie and Erica the “Market Hall” in downtown Stuttgart.  Since I seem to be visiting the same places with our guests the past few months, I have discovered a ‘new entertainment’- taking pictures of them taking pictures.  I am also finding another great plus to having good friends comes over…they bring good items I have requested from the Good Ole’ US of A! (note my new shoes, Goldfish, instant oatmeal, new nail polish, ..etc-THANKS KATIE & ERICA)  

CLICK on THIS


1

My new walkers thanks to Erica's suitcase!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>