6/30/11

Sounds of a "seal"


Funny how little translations can be SO important.  Within two hours of landing back in Germany, our little man had a fever, was yelling in his sleep and coughing all night like a "seal."  I figured he had conjured up 'The Croup' without any previous symptoms, so I phoned the 'Artzin' (doctor) first thing in the morning after our sleepless night. 

Let's just say (real loud) I STRUGGLE WITH INITIAL CALLS TO GERMAN DOCTORS TO MAKE APPOINTMENTS here in Germany.  I am finding that the person you first speak with, explain the symptoms and hope they grant you an appointment, usually does not speak English.  So, it turned quite humorous as I was trying to explain that Cooper had a fever, was bitten/stung by a bug while swimming that gave him a  rash in Barcelona, AND was coughing like a seal.  Note to self-  Your German is bad when you end up having to imitate a Seal on the phone.  However, as good as I thought my imitation was, I don't think that got us the apointment, I think it was when I mentioned ''bug and 'Barcelona' in one sentence. 

It has been a long time since our little Cooper has been non-energetic and I am deciding I don't like it!  He has been laying on the couch for a few days now as he temperature plays games with us dropping and then rising again.  These are the things that make you grateful in life and yes, teach you a lesson.  My lesson;I WILL NEVER GIVE HIM PRESCRIPTION COUGH MEDICINE AT 2;00 AM---THIS LEADS TO HIM BEING WIDE AWAKE AND DECIDING TO TALK MY EARS OFF FOR THE NEXT EIGHT HOURS...as I try to sleep. 

Kids get sick and kids get sick when you are living in another country.  So, I guess it is a good thing that I have my Seal Cough and other sound affects mastered since this "sounds" translate the same in all languages.  This sickness just a blink in our long life but it has taught me a life long lesson-There is ALWAYS a way to communicate! 

2 comments:

  1. OH, I hate to hear that Cooper is sick! I don't think I have ever seen him laying around b/c he is always a bundle of energy! I hope he feels better soon and you get some sleep! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope Cooper feels better soon...I'm thinking of you...and I hope you have a restful night's sleep in the near future!;) love,m:)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>