12/30/11

Can you speak "Alabama"?

DeFranco's Stuttgart
I KNOW I have never been asked to "speak Alabama" before tonight.  I have been asked to speak slower, faster, German, Nicer, and often more respectful (when I was younger of course).  So, when asked, I "speak".  Let's back up to the events that lead to this question tonight.
..........Babysitter arrived, Jason and I were off, first stop was to buy ski pants for the one family member (aka-me) that doesn't own any snow/ski pants. ( Seems it is a must for our upcoming ski/snow trip to Switzerland next week)  First problem...the bread and cheese here in Germany have been a little too kind to me.  Solution;Stop trying on ski pants and walk as fast as possible to a great Italian restaurant with Jason, eat very good Carpaccio, a little hearty red (to ease the pain), homemade tortellina stuffed with artichokes, a great espresso, and a very dangerous dessert that seemed pretty close to good ole' "Chess Pie".  2012 will come soon enough which includes a bit more joggin. 

good food...good view
Dangerous Dessert
At least he still finds the humor in 'me'!
As we were leaving the restaurant (in a much happier state than when we left the sporting goods store), we ended up talking to the large group sitting around the table by the door.  (Those of you that know me well can only imagine how we ended up talking to a large group of strangers as Jason rolled his eyes at me)  They asked where 'we' were from? (I should take a brief pause here to mention that one lady nodded towards Jason and asked me as we spoke German, "Why does HE speak perfect German?"  In hind sight, I should have answered, "he goes to a better German school than me"  hee-hee) The moment I answered, "We moved here from Alabama over a year ago", they didn't break out into a "Sweet Home Alabama" renedition, instead they asked me "to speak Alabama".  It takes alot to throw me off...but this one threw me into a lot of fast talking that I don't think anyone understood what I was saying including me.  I think I know how to find ski pants that fit better than I know how to speak Alabama to a large group eagerly awaiting my mumbled English. 
Time to go back to finding Ski Pants!

1 comment:

  1. That's too funny! Glad you and Jason got a date night too. Can you ship me one of those cheese dessert things? I will gladly pay the shipping for that
    Cristy

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>