1/6/13

sawatdee kaa สวัสดี ค่ะ (goodbye Thailand)

Greeting, farewells, beginnings and endings all have a purpose and each possess it's own beauty...I suppose.

I was charmed by the Thai greetings and farewells called "wai" which consists of a slight bow, with the palms pressed together in a prayer-like fashion.  Everyone greets or says farewell with a wai. However, I couldn't get straight the rules of this bow including how high or low to make my bow, so I chickened-out from offering it back.  But the next time I go back to Thailand I will get this problem straightened out and will have my manners in Thai order. 

What I did have straight were my sunrises and sunsets that greeted us each day.  As the sun rose bright and warm, it was a natural alarm clock of all we had to look forward to as we explored and played.  In the evenings, as the sun set it reminded me of the Thai wai because it bowed and dipped so low on the ocean horizon, I couldn't help but smile as I relaxed in the same warmth.   As we woke up a bit jet lagged to a cold rainy day here in Germany,  Karina asked if I could go ahead and take her beach braids out and then Cooper greeted me with a big smile and said, "It is so good to be home!"  Another lesson from a child....I guess beginnings, middles and ends are all beautiful even when it comes to vacations.









1 comment:

  1. Your trip looks like it was just beautiful!;) i am so happy you had such a relaxing time ans what a way to ring in the new year!! We miss you! Love, meredith;)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>