2/19/12

dingle..dingle..dingle

You know that sound....it comes across your phone when you get that text message on your phone from a friend telling you how much they love you or maybe you hear the sound coming from the television as you're watching "Rocky" when the bell signifying the start of the fight dings.  The latter was the "dingle..dingle" I heard on Thursday.  
The kids and I were in the store buying the last of our Chocolate gifts to take to all of our family in the U.S. (just like cheese and bread-Chocolate Truffles are dangerous in Germany and must be shared) As I was paying, the dingle signified that my fight was starting; The fight against the snow/ice AND "The air traffic controllers union striking at the Frankfurt airport".  Yep, that dingle came in the form of three texts saying our Lufthansa flights were cancelled.  But what my phone didn't know; when the bell signigies the start of a fight, I am determined to win.  AND THAT'S what we did. 

After much convincing and insisting on a different flight to DC (because there were Matthew's Eggs Benedict, champagne, family and a Baptism waiting for us) we were finally issued new tickets.  Next round, delays due to snow/ice.  But that turned out to be one our better fights... because nothing could stop me and the kids from running like bandits in the Munich airport and sighing with relief when the door brushed our butts as it was closed behind us.

good bye snow
Many of my friends commented that I was crazy flying across the ocean alone with the kids.  What they don't know is that after experiencing the unexpected death of my brother a few weeks prior, the fight inside of me is even stronger to be with my family when I hear that dingle...dingle..dingle.  

Hello DC sunshine
With a great victory under our belts, we stepped off our plane and are now in sunny Washington, DC where we are spending some much needed family time together.  

 




Matthew's breakfast-AKA-bribery
Uncle Mike
 

1 comment:

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>