1/18/11

Change....

When patterns are broken, new worlds emerge.~Tuli Kupferberg~

It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.~Charles Darwin~

It is not necessary to change.  Survival is not mandatory.  ~W. Edwards Deming  

Life is always at some turning point.~Irwin Edman~

The one unchangeable certainty is that nothing is certain or unchangeable.
~John F. Kennedy~

I knew our move to Germany would be a big change.  I am not scared of change, but couldn't help to feel apprehensive for our children.  My father passed on his love to read and write to me, so prior to our move I would always read quotes or blurbs about change.  The quotes above are a few of my favorites. These were the thoughts I wanted to keep in my mind so I could help Karina and Cooper have a positive attitude towards  all the changes we had ahead of us.

Getting ready..
I don't know why it surprises me to now find them growing and changing so easily.  They have really shown us that they have an adventurous side to each of their personalities and acclimate to change very well.  Watching them these past two weeks makes me want to cling to their youth some days.   It feels like their little minds have decided 'we are in another country and it is time for a change...let's grow up fast.'   I found myself sitting in front of the computer last night watching old video footage of them as babies. The most verbalized was Karina insisting on having her hair cut....

He isn't thrilled with his hair



But, in the mist of all this change..... SOME THINGS DON'T CHANGE.....I found myself once AGAIN in yet another hair salon, not being able to communicate efficiently in German.   This time the pressure was even higher since it was for my children's sake I needed to get everything correct.  I had accomplished the first step the other day,  making the appointments in German. Since they didn't have much available this week, it was like a game of ping pong trying to book the time(I think the ball kept falling off at my end of the table)  Once we were done with the cuts, I realized I communicated at a 50% level.  I guess I did a pretty good job of explaining what Karina wanted, but I must have mis communicated what Cooper wanted....  I thought I said," not too short".....but I guess I said VERY SHORT? 

We survived the haircuts with mom translating

Momma-You better work on your German

My Big Girl in many ways....

4 comments:

  1. "Everything is different since it changed."
    .Doris Grumbach, Coming Into the End Zone

    l.d

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karina and Cooper look adorable.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The more things change, the more they stay the same!

    Those kids are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tell Karina that Katy, Lily and Eliza LOVE her new hairdo! Very stylish!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>