1/30/11

Schloss Rosenstein

We are starting to get a hang of "Sunday life" in Germany.  It seems, the best activities are to tour & Eat, since only restaurants and (some) attractions are open.  At first it was quite an adjustment because in Alabama, Sunday afternoons meant our big trip to Costco, Publix and probably a quick trip to Target before the football games came on t.v.  But now,  we have learned to plan our shopping list prior to our Saturday morning dash to the Butcher, Baker, and Produce store since some close by early afternoon. (This difference is one that words just DON'T describe....just wait and experience it when you come visit us.)
 However, we have quickly adapted and are enjoying our family outings on Sundays.  Today we took the train out to Rosentein Park which is a very large English style Garden that sits right on the Neckar River. It was a SUNNY Day (WOO-HOO) but I have learned not to let the sun trick me into thinking it will be warm out!   Over the past few weeks, I have been plowing thru our  library of  Stuttgart brochures,  most of which are written in German.  I was determined to find the Natural History Museum with the big Dinosaur bones since I had promised the kids a visit.  I swear it has taken me over a week just to be sure that this museum really was located here in this park.   Many of the German words all still look alike to me and then add the fact that many things seem to have the same name, then add the fact that there are TWO Natural History Museums in Stuttgart. So, I finally had this Rosentein Park all figured out, well almost....I somehow missed that there was a HUGE playground also located on the grounds.  That translates to hearing Cooper say all afternoon, "I am tired of Museums....I need some fresh air at the playground....can we go to the playground now...I have seen enough bones....You promised we could play on the playground....."


Cooper chasing the pigeons

 
 So, I thought I would clarify each area so I could refer back to my post when we decide to return to the zoo-also located here in the park.  
 The Park is called "Rosentein ParkKing Wilhelm I,  had it constructed between 1824-1840.  This park served as the Gardens of the King's Palace. (think of a small version of Central Park. ) You can feel the energy as soon as your feet hit the Park/Garden. People are riding bikes, running, walking, and even one group was taking a guided tour complete with binoculars hanging from their necks. I can only imagine the Rose Gardens this the Spring!

Located within the Park: 

  There are two state Museums of Natural History.  What blew my mind...  some of the original collections date BACK TO THE 16TH CENTURY!!!! Really?!?!?...people were studying dinosaur bones and fossils that far back?!?!?  I know that sounds a little naive-but hey, we all learn new things in life.  We visited both museums which included a 15 minute walk from one to the other, so we decided to save the zoo for another visit....and yes, Cooper was able to enjoy the park AND chase the pigeons. 
  • Wilhelma Zoo- was originally the private retreat of a king (I guess the large Garden's and Palace just weren't enough of a retreat....)  It is now a large zoological and botanical gardens.  We will be returning soon I think....
  • First stop......Museum am Löwentor- exhibits of fossils, dinosaurs, and Ice Age man. At last, the museum I had been promising the kids since prior to our move.
We made it!

Look-their really are dinosaur bones..
"Hey, Jason got any food?"


look at the little people

more bones-and they aren't Dreamland's

Walking thru the Park to the next Museum
Next stop- Schloss Rosenstein -the palace King Wilhelm I had constructed between 1822-1830.  (see what I mean about looking alike or having the same words)  The other Natural History Museum with exhibits of biology, the evolution of living species, fossils, a HUGE collection of insects/butterflies and a skeleton of a Sea whale.  (There are MANY 'stuffed' animals, some depicting scenes in the wild.  Let me tell you, I wish I had translated this German brochure a little more. Try explaining to a 5 and 6 year old why some exhibits had vivid "circle of life" scenes was not my idea of fun.  Moving on....
Schloss Rosenstein


Karina taking her pictures

My favorite...

Mom-"What is that Polar Bear doing to the Seal?"


1 comment:

  1. I just love reading your blog every morning when I wake up! It is the first thing I do after hitting the snooze button!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>