1/17/11

My new best friend...well sorta

He thought it was funny I wanted to take his picture...


dishes drying on heater vent
This is my new best friend. He has earned that title!   I see him more than anybody ...at least once a week if not more since we moved into the house.  I speak more German with him than anybody else, sometimes hour long conversations (he could be saying the same thing hoping I will understand after an hour) He should be paid to be my German teacher since I have had to learn my German when he is here.  But instead, he is being paid to fix our Dishwasher.  Yes, WE have been hand washing dishes since we moved in and drying them on our heater vent.
We make a joke everytime he leaves (and we think it is working) "sehen Sie nächste Woche!"  (see you next week) thinking this is so funny.  Today when he arrived, I said, "Das ist nicht mehr lustig" (this isn't funny anymore) Seems, our dishwasher has a mind of it's own to work or not work.  The decision was made tonight to just buy a new one.

Every dark cloud has a lining.....I have met a person who is kind, patient, funny, and interesting.  I must emphasize patient.....tonight I called Jason to speak with him before he left.  I thought I heard him tell Jason he would bring the new dishwasher in the afternoon tomorrow.  I went running in the kitchen and interrupted the phone call to tell him in German, "Meine Tochter hat ein Haarschnitt im Morgen Abend"  He stared at me blankly, then repeats to Jason (on the phone) "Your Frau says you should know her daughter has a haircut in the afternoon" Oh no!.... he thinks I want him to just give Jason a message from me.  Of course I start laughing because he was looking at me like I was this crazy American lady getting the repairman to talk to my husband for me in German.  I quickly corrected myself and told him that I wouldn't be here in the afternoon for the delivery.  He then clarified that the conversation with Jason was about calling in the afternoon with Dishwasher prices not coming to the house.  Yep......Off to study my German now!!!

And yes...I really am taking Karina for a haircut tomorrow afternoon.  After 6 years of growing her hair long she has decided she now wants short hair.  I gave her a long speech this past week about "being her own Karina" and not having short hair just because the other girls do.  So, she thought about it for the past week and informed me last night "She is the one that wants short hair".  No telling what I told the hairdresser when I made the apt. but I hope they understood it will be a big change.....

1 comment:

  1. you are doing such a great job learning a new language! it is funny the people you meet and have a friendship with when you are somewhere different!:) send pictures of karina with her new hair style!:)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>