1/16/11

Running like the wind....

I wasn't going to blog about this tonight, but decided I should document all aspects of our living abroad knowing I risk  people judging my decision making as a mother.  But...Judge on.....

With that being said, I am going to first explain a little about the difference in Germany vs US, in regards to Children playing outside alone. When we moved here I was very surprised to see little children around 6 walking on their own to and from school.  Also, riding their bikes along the sidewalks without a mother hovering over them waiting for anybody to even look at their child the wrong way.  Instead, it appeared children played in the neighborhood unsupervised, as I did as a child. When I asked one of the German mother's (of a now teenager) if it was really safe to let them play all thru the neighborhood without adult supervision.  She kinda chuckled and responded, "it is very safe here in Germany, we begin letting our children walk to school alone at age 6.  Of course with a long proper training on crossing the street"  Bottom line, cars are the most dangerous thing in Germany in this regard. 

So, I made the decision to let Cooper and Karina ride their scooters and bikes along this part of the neighborhood as long as they did not cross a street.  My "crossing the street" training doesn't seem to be going so quick since Cooper tends to stop in the middle of the street to look both ways. They have really enjoyed riding their bikes with their friends in the afternoon.  They come home at the end of the day with  their excitement showing on their face and telling me about all of that days adventures. Their sense of freedom bring a smile across my face as I reminisce of my childhood. 

Fast forward to this afternoon.....  We were going to go on an "outing" as a family to the Wilhelma Zoo/Botanicle Garden (I will write about this incredible place more after we visit)  However, the kids were having so much fun playing in the neighborhood with their friends, we decided that we would just let them continue to play. As I am getting out of the shower, Jason comes to tell me the kids are playing in the woods behind our neighbor's house with their friends.  He is going to drive down to the Gas station to fill up his car and will be right back.  5 minutes later, the doorbell rings.  It is the mother of their friend asking if I had seen her child and Cooper.  "Ummm, no", I respond, "I thought they were behind your house".  We split up to search all of the sidewalks and woods they are allowed to play frantically yelling their names.  After 5 minutes of heart racing, panic stricken searching, Jason drives up with two children in tow.  He is trying not to laugh with his version of the story(because he is also hanging Cooper up by his toes-our little independent strong willed child-is why we both have so much grey hair now)

Jason's story.....As he is leaving, Cooper and his friend ask Jason where he is going.  Jason told them he had to go to the gas station to wash his car and fill it with gas.  "But I'll be back in 5 minutes", he tells them and then left.  As he is driving back from the gas station on "Main Street" by the U-Bahn station he thinks he sees Cooper running down the street toward the gas station.  But then thinks, "That can't be Cooper, I am 6 (city) blocks from home. He then does a double take, and sure enough there are Cooper and his friend running and laughing with not one spark of fear showing on their faces.  They are sprinting down the main street of Sillenbuch toward the gas station.  Jason slams on brakes and goes back to retrieve them.  When he asked what they were doing, "Coming to help you at the gas station" they responded.  
Bad news-Cooper is still not ready for crossing streets but crossed MANY to get to Kirchheimer Strasse.
Good News- I guess he knows his way around Sillenbuch from all of our walks to the train and market. 

And yes, I will continue to let them play on their own on in these safe neighborhoods, but will increase my"cross the street" training and continue to hang him up by his toes if he does cross a street on his own:)

NO PICTURES AVAILABLE DUE TO FAST RUNNING......

2 comments:

  1. They will get proper training in Kindergarten and then later at school. It is also very popular to take the bike after passing the so-called Fahrradpruefung, I think in 4th grade. By the way, swimming lessons start in 3rd grade and are mandatory.And congratulations to let your kids play outside with their friends: the best way to learn the language! (you should consider that as well hahahaha!!! )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! You must have been frantic. What a little stinker (smart little stinker with an excellent sense of direction, fearless and brave) but still a stinker. :) I love that kid. I agree with Evelyn, too. Playing with friends is the quickest way to pick up the language. Bravo to you.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>