1/19/11

We interrupt this blog.....

"We interrupt this blog for a Special Announcement".......Living abroad as a mother of two children IS NOT A VACATION, I repeat, IS NOT A VACATION. Note to those of you that are considering moving abroad with your family, please don't pack all of your sunscreen and beach books. 

OK, this is a warning.....If you enjoy my blogs because they are funny and uplifting...... DO NOT  READ THIS POST!!!!

I have to get this off my chest because the letters, notes and emails stating things like " you are sooo lucky you get this three year vacation" "Enjoy this 3 year break" etc. I know you all mean well!!! It is just in my little ole head, I can't stand it that people think my life is one big glass of Champagne.  If it were, then I would be proud of these well wishes.  I am lucky in MANY ways, but having one big vacation here in Germany is just not accurate.  Yes, on some days it is a vacation- usually the weekend when Jason is home.   It thrills me that our blog appears that life abroad is just one big 'Boondoggle'....sipping champagne, and eating caviar, it means that I must a decent job with my writing ability.

 So, I decided I would blog once and once only on this subject because I believe in keeping the energy positive in my life and therefore focus on this aspect.  But the  reality of living abroad....It is VERY HARD ( but worth every minute)   I am usually EXHAUSTED by 5:00 (17:00 uhr here)  Every minute of my "normal" day is mentally challenging. Even the small tasks I took for granted in the US-taking out the garbage, laundry, cooking, shopping for food, filling the car with gas, taking the dog to the vet, taking the children to the doctor, and of course DRIVING.   Yes, I don't like to admit it, but I feel like crying most nights and do some....to Jason who is my biggest supporter.  I get so frustrated because......my language isn't coming fast enough, Jason and I have gotten VERY LITTLE  alone time the past 7 months, the driving is scary, I have to find time to study, I got lost...again, I have trouble making phone calls, I have to relearn all of my knowledge bases.....  When WE made a personal choice for me to stop working in the corporate world, I also made a decision to work at my new job "Motherhood" just as hard as I worked for Mercedes.  I am very hands on mother and spend most of my days doing everything possible to create two people, that as adults, will have a positive impact on society. Doing this in another country, where I don't speak the language fluently nor do I understand all aspects of the culture....etc. etc. etc. makes this job even more challenging.  Then put the fact that  I REFUSE TO FAIL on top of that, equals NOT A VACATION.  (But Jason and I would desperatley like to take one if anyone would like the kids for a week)

Ok...I feel much better now....OFF TO OPEN A BOTTLE OF CHAMPAGNE.  Tschuess....

4 comments:

  1. I TOTALLY HEAR YOU!!!!!! GOOD FOR YOU!!! i know...when i moved overseas many of my friends thought ..." Wow!!! you get to have a vacation with a nanny and a driver." they don't realize that for me it was a necessity to navigate myself around in a new country!!:) you go girl!!! love,m:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said!! And it gets even worse when family and friends come over for a visit and think YOU ARE ON VACATION and do not realize that you actually live there, work, household, kids, school etc etc. and want to be entertained!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you and you are both amazing parents. Pop that cork because you deserve it. I wish I was there to give you a long weekend away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You amaze me more every day that I read your blog! I already knew you were a pretty awesome woman, mother and wife, but you are truly one in a million!!!! You give 1000% to EVERYTHING that you do and I wish I could be more like you in so many ways! Keep doing what you do best and take breaks in between to enjoy the small things! Good heavens, you deserve it! Love you!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>