1/14/11

All that JAZZ...


I just don't know how every day here in Germany is always better than the day before.  At night I go to bed and before falling asleep, I think,  'life can't get any better than this'... but it does.

Tonight I met some of my neighbors at the very old Jazz Hall in downtown Stuttgart.  One of the first neighbors we met, Eberhard Glauner, founded the "Solid Old Jazzband" in 1974. The band is renowned for its traditional jazz, especially swing, Dixieland, and Chicago jazz.  It was so fun to feel the energy in this jazz club and see all the huge black & White photographs hanging on the wall of the Jazz greats that had played in this club.  Ok, I will back-up a bit...

On our second day in the neighborhood, Jason and I met Eberhard.  He introduced himself and told us the story about purchasing a special trumpet on a visit once to the states. (Of course this conversation took place in German and I am sure at the time I had my own translation)   He later gave us a copy of one of the 5 cd's they have produced.  (he is a lawyer during the day)  Since that day, his daughter, Jenny,  has babysat and become a friend of ours as well.  Last night, Ebehard arrived late to the birthday celebration and explained that his tardiness was due to the band's rehersal. He also exclaimed, "We were going to come here and serenade for your birthday, but the weather is too cold for our instruments, so I have put you on the guest list at the Jazz Hall for our concert tomorrow night"  (some of that was in German but it is way too late for me to attempt to write in German)

So, once Jason was home from work, off I was to the Jazz Hall.  And boy what a treat.  Once I was all situated at the table with a few of my friends, Eberhard tells the audience that they have a special birthday song for a audience member that moved from Alabama.  (You are thinking it is going to be "Sweet Home Alabama"...nope).  It was the Alabama Swing song.  But it gets even better.  I was not able to attend Jenny's musical performance earlier in the evening at a local art gallery and really hated that I had missed out.  I called her earlier in the day and apologized and expressed my disapointment.  Next thing I know, Eberhard is calling Jenny on stage. She surprised me by singing my favorite song, "When Your Smiling" Like I said, it just can't get any better than that.....



Jenny singing "When your Smiling" for a birthday present ..

One of the huge black and Whites on the wall...

2 comments:

  1. very cool!!!!! Looks like you had a great time!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing 1st birthday in Germany! Like I said on skype yesterday, you better not get used to living over there! The Hoff family HAS to come home at some point! :) We wouldn't be able to stand it if you decided to live there permanently!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>