1/21/11

Jive Talking....

"The problem with communication is the illusion that it has occurred" ~George Bernard Shaw


HA-HA-  This could be my theme the past few days or weeks I guess.  I was talking to my friend, Cindy the other night when she asked me, "What do you miss the most?" I was quick to answer, "you.... my friends and my family, but not really anything else"  I have been pondering her question the past few nights to be sure I wasn't fooling myself.  I mean, am I in denial and really do miss Target Superstore??? (I don't think so) The more I thought about it, the more my answer changed...

The thing I miss most-Being able to communicate with ease and accuracy.  

I have had to communicate with accuracy but without ease many times this week.  And many times I am not sure the communication occured.  We had numerous repairman, cable guys, electrical workman, and of course the daily conversations surrounding shopping.  I knew I was in trouble the day the cable guys were here....I realized I told them to open (offen) rather than go up (oben ) the stairs.  I realized it when they started chuckling.  

I am also learning that communication is not just thru words.  Let me tell you,  non-verbal communication ( gestures, body language, eye contact) can be different in another country too. For example, look at the two pictures below (thanks to my fabulous finger model).  When ordering items from the bakery, one of these gestures equals "1" and the other gesture equals "2". My mother- in-law was quick to find these out during her visit-she kept coming home with an extra brotchen!  

Pointer

Thumb
You were right...the thumb up means "1" here.  They begin counting with their thumb.  So, if you hold up your pointer finger that means "2".  I have also learned facial expressions, sighs, influx of tones are very different. A simple thing as a "sigh" can easily be misunderstood.  A sigh to me means, "tired, or frustrated" A sigh here is just a sound made as part of the language. (Sorry I can't provide a picture of that one)  The one thing that seems to be communicated alike in both languages..... a SMILE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Stuttgart, Germany, Germany
We are living as non-military expats for a second time in Stuttgart Germany. The first time, we moved from Alabama to Stuttgart, Germany in December 2010 for three years and now are back after six years.. This is a great adventure for our whole family that we enjoy sharing.
>